Anaerobic training can best be thought of as exercises and workouts that are of shorter duration generally in the 30 second to two minute window. After two minutes the aerobic systems in our body kick in.
A great analogy is anaerobic training is equivalent to the 100m, 200m & 400m sprints. Whereas aerobic training is equivalent to a 1600m, 5K, 10K and beyond.
If it’s such a short training window clients often ask, what are the benefits of anaerobic training?
The Benefits of Anaerobic Training are many!
- Improved cardiovascular function or the ability of our bodies to gather, process and deliver oxygen.
- Decreases body fat. In fact it is superior in such ability when compared to aerobic activities.
- Improves power or the ability of our muscular unit(s) to apply a maximum amount of force in a minimum amount of time.
- Increases Speed or our ability to minimize the amount of time it takes to complete a repeated movement(s).
- Increases Strength or our ability for a muscular unit(s) to apply a maximum amount of force.
- Improved Muscle Mass.
- Finally, anaerobic training does not adversely affect our aerobic capacity.
We use a nice variety of both aerobic and anaerobic training with our personal training clients at Signum CrossFit.